The Indian Express | 1 week ago | 18-03-2023 | 01:45 pm
Less than a week after it was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Bengaluru-Mysuru expressway witnessed waterlogging on Saturday morning after slight overnight rain, leading to traffic snarls. The flooding near an underpass near Sangabasavana Doddi between Ramanagara and Bidadi led to chaos on Saturday as vehicles were spotted stuck in traffic jams.“We had left space for drains but some of the villagers blocked the drains with mud which resulted in flooding. We are clearing it and the road will be open as usual,” National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) project director B T Sridhar told The Indian Express.Incidentally, last August, the same stretch was flooded following heavy rainfall. Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari, who had visited the road in January this year, had commented on the flooding and said that a technical team was looking into the issue. “We will ensure that it does not repeat. A road safety audit is also being carried out to prevent road accidents on the stretch,” he had said.On March 12, Prime Minister Modi inaugurated the 118-km Bengaluru-Mysuru Expressway project. The expressway reduces the travel time between Bengaluru and Mysuru from around three hours to about 75 minutes, according to officials.The Rs 8,480 crore project involves six-laning of the Bengaluru-Nidaghatta-Mysuru section of NH-275. The NHAI had started collecting toll on Tuesday and political parties, including Janata Dal (Secular), had staged protests over tolls being collected without road works being completed.Meanwhile, several areas in Bengaluru were plunged into darkness for four-five hours on Friday after the city recorded 5.3 mm of rain.“There were technical glitches in the Muss feeder in Jayadeva, Attur-Yelahanka and Magadi Road due to heavy wind and rainfall. This resulted in electricity disruption in several areas. We worked the entire night to resolve the issue. Transformers were repaired. The situation is normal now,” a Bangalore Electricity Supply Company Limited official said.The Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) control room also received complaints of tree branches falling in Indiranagar, Rajajinagar and Muddayyana Palya. HAL also witnessed crawling traffic due to water logging.
Even as the Maharashtra irrigation department has directed the Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation to ensure judicious use of drinking water so that the supply would last till July, the civic administration is gearing up to get additional 100 million litres per day (MLD) water from the Andra dam located in Maval taluka of the district in a week. The availability of extra water will somewhat ease the supply problem in the industrial city.PCMC joint city engineer Shrikant Savane said the irrigation department, like every year, has issued a note of caution to the civic body regarding water use. “The irrigation department has urged us to ensure judicious use of water by citizens so that the available stock can last up to July,” he said.As per civic officials, the Pavana dam, the lifeline of Pimpri-Chinchwad, currently has 48.93 per cent water. Last year on this day, the total storage was 49.03 per cent. “Compared to last year, the storage in Pavana dam is one per cent less, which is not a major difference. But we will have to see how severe the summer is. Depending on the severity of the summer, the water evaporates, resulting in the depletion of the dam storage. We have water in the dam that will last till July,” he said.Last year, the catchment areas of the Pavana dam received good rainfall. The dam was filled to capacity at least three times. The catchment areas of the dam received 2,777 mm of rain last year. A year before that, the catchment areas had received 2,722 mm of rain, meaning 55 mm more rain was registered last year. By August end, the dam was 100 per cent full, officials said.Meanwhile, the civic administration is gearing up to inaugurate the Chikhli water treatment plant next week. Once operational, the city will get additional 100 MLD water. “As of now, we are drawing 500 MLD water from the Pavana dam daily. Once the Chikhli water treatment plant is inaugurated, we will get 600 MLD water every day,” said Savane.The industrial city has had an alternate day water supply since November 25, 2019. “The additional 100 MLD water will help us to supply more water in Chikhli and surrounding areas. The additional water supply will actually be available for the entire town,” officials said.The 100 MLD water has been lifted from Andra dam, which is located in Maval taluka of Pune district. The dam is located about 22 km from Chikhli. The PCMC is also laying a pipeline to lift 167 MLD of water from the Bhama Askhed dam, which is also located in the Maval taluka. “We are laying a direct pipeline from Bhama Askhed dam to Pimpri-Chinchwad. The same line will be joined to Andhra dam,” Savane said.Meanwhile, the work on the Chikhli water treatment plant has been completed and its inauguration may happen next week. “The plant work was completed in November, and electricity work was completed recently. And now the inauguration of the treatment might happen in the coming days,” he said.In another development, the water department recovered dues of Rs 65 lakh from 134 water tax defaulters last week, officials said. The recovery was done during a special drive carried out from March 20 to 24.
IND vs AUS: As Mitchell Marsh and Travis Head were handing India a defeat that they would want to bury before they land in Chennai for the decider, Rahul Dravid sat in the corner of the dressing room balcony biting his nails. For the second match in a row, Australia exposed India top-order’s vulnerability against seamers – especially the left-armers – as they were bowled out for 117.When Visakhapatnam woke up to heavy rain on Sunday morning, all things pointed to a rain-curtailed contest at the YS Rajasekhara Reddy ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium. With forecasts of rain till sunset, the capacity crowd had come from different parts of Andhra hoping they would get at least a 20-over contest. In the end the second ODI didn’t even last 40 overs or wait for sunset. Thanks to Mitchell Starc’s fiery opening spell and a five-wicket haul (5/53), Australia blew away India for 117 in 26 overs, and their openers chased down the target in 11 overs to hand Rohit & Co their biggest defeat in ODIs in terms of balls remaining.It is the sort of defeat that should definitely open old wounds for India, where their batting unit’s struggles against left-arm pacers continued. Speaking later, Rohit – at least in public — refused to read too much into it, instead saying “right-armers have troubled us too, but nobody talks about it” to play down the struggles. But, there is definitely a pattern that is emerging which might have left Dravid engrossed in the thought, particularly when they will face similar bowlers at the World Cup later this year.Superb fast bowling 🤩 #INDvAUSLive match centre: https://t.co/LXGrkQy5JJ pic.twitter.com/IXmTWG9pZD— cricket.com.au (@cricketcomau) March 19, 2023It is not something that is not lost among opposition teams. Since 2019, six pacers have taken 5-wicket haul against India and out of these four are left-armers – Reece Topley, Trent Boult, Mustafizur Rahman and Starc. At the World Cup, apart from the four, India will also encounter Shaheen Shah Afridi and Marco Jansen, both having troubled them. Almost all teams barring Sri Lanka and West Indies have a left-arm pacer that can move the new ball.Simple planOn a pitch that had been under covers for 24 hours because of persistent rain, there was enough moisture in it for Steve Smith to win the toss and bowl first. Australia’s bowler’s plan was simple: Keep it full and let the ball move. And from the moment Starc removed Shubman Gill in the first over to a loose shot, driving airily, India’s slide began.In the brief moment that Rohit and Virat Kohi were together – adding 29 crisp runs in 4 overs – it looked as if the capacity crowd would be treated to a run feast. It was the brief period Starc and Cameron Green were a bit wayward. But once Starc found his rhythm, he had Rohit edge to first slip with one that moved away. Off the next ball, he had Suryakumar Yadav LBW again with a one that curled back in after pitching in the middle and off-stump line. By the time he moved KL Rahul with a carbon copy dismissal of Suryakumar, India were 48/4 in 8.4 overs. At the end of the first powerplay, the score read 49/5 after Smith pulled off a stunning one-handed full-stretch catch to dismiss Hardik Pandya off Sean Abbott’s bowling.Australia win the second #INDvAUS ODI. #TeamIndia will look to bounce back in the series decider 👍 👍Scorecard ▶️ https://t.co/dzoJxTO9tc @mastercardindia pic.twitter.com/XnYYXtefNr— BCCI (@BCCI) March 19, 2023It was as if India chose to replay what unfolded at the Wankhede Stadium. Just like how everyone during the T20 World Cup opener in Dubai were expecting Afridi to send down a yorker to Rohit first-up, here at Vizag on Sunday, you knew what Starc was going to do. “I have been doing the same thing for 14 years now,” he would chuckle. Coincidentally, Starc was the most expensive bowler too, but Australia would not mind. He has been given the licence to attack and with his stock delivery to get wickets being the fuller-one, the margin of error is too small, and is bound to give batters easy runs through a flick or a drive. But when he gets it right, Starc knows he would see the back of most batsmen.Inflexible thinkingIndia should have known by now. It was as much a case of Starc whipping up a lethal spell as India’s batsmen not respecting the conditions and a seasoned pacer who could fully exploit it. Rohit implied as much: “We didn’t apply ourselves, you know, even when you lose a couple of wickets early, it’s important to create that partnership so that you can get back into the game.”It is also pertinent to raise how rigid they are when the situation demands them to be flexible. With Starc going full throttle, they could have sent either Ravindra Jadeja or Axar Patel to disrupt the rhythm of Australia’s bowlers. In the previous match, after India were reduced to 83/5 while chasing 189, Rahul spoke about how Jadeja’s arrival helped them break the shackles. The situation presented itself again, but they did not implement their lessons. And this time Australia were not in a mood to let the match slip away from their hands.
Vadodara: Unseasonal showers were witnessed at several places of central Gujarat on Saturday. The districts of Vadodara, Anand, Panchmahal, Mahisagar and Dahod witnessed rain.The unexpected rain brought some chill in the morning. But the minimum and maximum temperatures on Saturday at most places remained higher than that on Friday. The cloud cover and humidity are believed to be the reason behind the higher temperatures.Vadodara city received showers early in the morning even as it remained clouded through the day. The situation was similar in other places of Vadodara district.A part of the gold-plated statue of Lord Shiva in Sursagar in Vadodara became visible due to the wind and the rain. This attracted many people to the spot. In Dahod district, Singvad and Sanjeli received light rainfall while isolated showers were reported in Fatepura and Jhalod talukas. A good part of the district was under cloud cover on the day.While Mahisagar district received showers, most parts of Godhra in Pandhmahal district and other areas around it received scanty rainfall. Parts of Anand district also received rain.
JOSHIMATH/ DEHRADUN: Out of fear that one hotel is tilting dangerously and may collapse on the other, owners of the two establishments in Joshimath who had been protesting for three days against the planned demolition of the buildings finally agreed to it on Thursday. It set the stage for the first demolition in Joshimath, where hundreds of houses and roads have developed cracks and are crumbling.Chief scientist at Central Building Research Institute (CBRI) Roorkee, Devi Prasad Kanungo, who had recently played a key role in the Supertech twin-towers blast in Noida, is conducting the exercise with expert teams in Joshimath.Read AlsoUttarakhand increases Joshimath aid 30x to 1.5L per familyDEHRADUN/ JOSHIMATH: From Rs 5,000 per family initially offered as help, the Uttarakhand government on Wednesday announced Rs 45 crore for the 3,000 households — or Rs 1.5 lakh per family — affected by ground subsidence in Joshimath as “interim assistance”, after a round of talks between residentsWell over 100 people, including at least 80 SDRF personnel along with CBRI experts and engineers, will be needed to execute the operation which involved cutting away pieces of the structures and lifting these away.Hotel Mount View had cracks inside, while Malari Inn had developed fissures beneath it. But Thursday morning, cracks in Malari Inn erupted in multiple places following a slight drizzle in the early hours.There was also snowfall in the upper reaches. In its forecast for the region, India Meteorological Department had earlier stated that “snowfall can be expected here on the night of January 12 and 13”.Kamlesh Rana, son of Thakur Rana who owns Malari Inn, said, “I can’t put my parents under stress anymore. They had been sitting here in protest for days. God forbid if rain intensifies then the building might start collapsing on its own causing damage to others' properties. People here are already a very worried lot. We don’t want to give trouble to anyone.”Sharing details of the demolition plan, Kanungo told TOI: “Malari Inn has moved away from the ground and so damage, in this case, is irreparable. It actually shifted its weight on the other hotel. A safe mechanical demolition of these two buildings will take place in stages. We have chalked out a detailed plan for it. We'll monitor the demolition by using our state-of-the-art equipment placed in and around the buildings to observe vibrations and other elements.”Read Also'We belong in snow, don't force us to plains,' Joshimath cries in songsSome of their tears dissolved in the steady drizzle as they stood in the cold, openly sobbing and singing songs of the pain of displacement. Residents of Joshimath have been saying they don't want to move and that if the government is serious about their problem, it needs to find a "permanentThe chief scientist added: “Since the landscape is extremely fragile we’ll manually cut the building and lift its pieces to another location. We can't blast or bulldoze it. The process may take days and we are afraid rain may make the operation challenging for us."About the teams involved, he said, “We are following all safety protocols. We would require at least 80 SDRF personnel along with CBRI experts and engineers to execute this operation. Around 20 labourers would also be needed for each stage. Roads leading to the nearby houses and bylanes would be cordoned off.”Read AlsoIsro releases images: Joshimath sank 5.4cm in 12 days, entire town may sinkThe Indian Space Research Organisation's (Isro) National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC) in Hyderabad has released satellite images that reveal the severe land subsidence affecting the town of Joshimath. The images, taken by the Cartosat-2S satellite, show that the entire town, including the Army'sKanungo, a chief scientist with MTech and PhD degrees (engineering-geologist) from IIT-Roorkee, has been working at CSIR-CBRI for almost 30 years now. His team played a crucial role during the Noida twin-tower blast. His team had deployed instrumentation monitoring equipment worth Rs 2 crore and visually captured the exercise.Chief development officer (Chamoli), LN Mishra, said, “We held a series of meetings with the stakeholders and they understood the gravity of the situation and agreed for dismantling of the structure which started at around 4.30pm.The removal of concrete should start tomorrow."Read AlsoAssess Joshimath damage on war footing: CM Pushkar Singh Dhami to scientistsAfter meeting all stakeholders at the ITBP base camp in Joshimath on Thursday, chief minister Pushkar Singh Dhami said that a committee has been formed under the district magistrate of Chamoli to "decide the final compensation amount for affected families and for transparent disbursement of interimLocal residents had also met chief minister Pushkar Singh Dhami on Thursday morning and requested a rehabilitation package on the lines of the Badrinath Master Plan. An official, privy to the meeting, claimed, “A suggestion was made that they can give a package in accordance with the Central Public Works Department rates, which the residents declined.”The meeting didn’t achieve a conclusive result and residents and authorities were told to “set up a market rate panel” to finalise the amount. Talks are on with the stakeholders, the official added.
Cristiano Ronaldo was not included in Al Nassr’s squad for Friday’s Saudi Professional League match against Al Tai, amid media reports that the Portugal forward was going to make his debut despite having a two-match suspension.The 37-year-old will miss his first two domestic games for the Saudi Arabian club after being suspended by England’s Football Association (FA) for knocking a phone out of a fan’s hand after Manchester United’s defeat at Everton in April.According to FIFA’s Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players (RSTP), any sanction of up to four matches that has been issued to a player by their former association must be “enforced by the new association.”The game against Al Tai was originally scheduled for Thursday but was postponed by 24 hours due to heavy rain and weather conditions impacting the stadium’s electricity.